Our History

Bahr el Ghazal initial belonged to the Catholic Verona Fathers, in accordance to the colonial regulations.  In 1942 Anglican missionaries from the Christian Mission Service arrived in Wau and established a school in 1950 at Gel River. In the same year the church was started in the house of Mr. Richard Owen, the last colonial governor of Bahr el Ghazal, today western Bahr El Ghazal State. In the 1951 a lot of people gave their lives to Christ under the leadership of Governor Richard Owen who acted as spiritual caretaker. When the work became overbearing the Governor asked CMS pastors from Rumbek and Tonj to come and baptise new Christian’s who had given their lives to Christ. For this reason Evangelist Ruben Machir, who later became the Bishop of Cuiebet was sent to assist the Governor, Richard Owen and he continued in this role until 1952 when Rev Amozai, a Moru pastor was posted to be pastor in charge of Wau town Parish with an evangelist called Lino as his assistant.

Bishop Henry Riak who served in Rumbek Diocese in 1979 as archdeacon was  transferred to Wau Town Parish in 1983 and he ministered there as pastor under the leadership of Archdeacon John Malou. In 1988 Wau became a Diocese with the Rt Rev John Malou Ater being the first Bishop of Wau Diocese. Regretfully Bishop Malou was killed within three months in plane crashed on his way to Rumbek Diocese. In the same year Bishop Henry Riak was an Archdeacon in Wau town was consecrated as Assistant Bishop of Wau Diocese. One year later he was enthroned as Diocesan Bishop of Wau in 1999 and he became the second bishop of Wau Diocese. He retired on 30th June 2009 and was replaced by the Rt Rev Moses Deng Bol  who was consecrated on 29th November 2009 and enthroned on March 14th 2010 as Bishop of Wau Diocese. Moses Deng is the third Bishop of Wau Diocese.

Today the church is growing  tremendously from a few members scattered around the  western Bahr el Ghazal and Warrap State. Under the of leadership of Moses Deng Bol the church has established a new diocese called Aweil in Northern Bahr el Ghazal State and thirty archdeaconries. With time many news institutions are likely to be established. Continuing the example of the wider Episcopal Church in Sudan.